Monday, January 29, 2018

Two Stories Upcoming in "The Food of My People"




I am very happy to note that two of my stories, one new and the other a reprint, have been accepted for the anthology, The Food of My People, edited by Ursula Pflug and Candas Jane Dorsey.

The two are very different stories.

"The One That Gets Away", set on the west coast of Vancouver Island, tells the story of a man obsessed with fishing for dogfish from a pier.

"Eating Our Young", which was first published in the small press anthology, The Speed of Dark, looks at the plight of two young children who are regularly eaten by their family and left to recover.

I suppose they sound equally grim, in a way, but the one is an exploration, an awakening, and the other is a painful close-up of unwitting cruelty and its effects.

One of the requirements of the book is a recipe to go with each story. Both of these were a challenge for me, considering I don't actually eat sharks or children. But in the end I was able to find recipes that made sense with the stories, and now I am eagerly awaiting the publication of the book, so that I can discover all the other stories presented in the book.

No comments: